donderdag 18 november 2010

NHS fares best on free access to healthcare

Publication date: 19 November 2010

The NHS, the National Healthcare System, is the only health system in the industrialized world where health does not determine access to care, according to an American study of the health think thank the Commonwealth Fund. NHS patients have the best access to healthcare at the lowest costs. In all other countries patients with low incomes, below the average income, are more likely to have problems with paying bills and getting care. The survey was held among 19,700 patients in 11 countries. There were ‘substantial differences’ among countries on the access to care, and waiting times for specialized care.

Reaction
I think good and cheap access to healthcare is one of the most important things. I am glad we have a similar healthcare system in the Netherlands because access to healthcare is a human right. When I hear stories of the healthcare system in the United States, one of the richest countries of the world, I can not understand how they can justify such a system where families are ruined because they can not pay the bills. One third of the Americans do not see a doctor when sick, or failed to fill prescriptions because of costs, according to this survey. Good to know: for the Netherlands this is only five percent of the people.  

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten